June 26, 2013
- Lars Erickson, WSDOT communications director, 360-705-7076 (Olympia)
- Tonia Buell, WSDOT public-private partnerships, 360-705-7439 (Olympia)
Media invited to kickoff of international electric-vehicle rally
Dignitaries from Washington, British Columbia hold Golden Plug ceremony
OLYMPIA – The media is invited to attend a celebration at the Peace Arch State Park near the USA/Canada border, where a dozen electric-vehicle drivers will begin the journey from Canada to Mexico powered solely by electricity. Drivers will make the 1,500-mile, nine-day road trip – called the BC2BC (British Columbia to Baja California) – without using a drop of gas.
Join Washington Secretary of Transportation Lynn Peterson, Parliamentary Secretary to the British Columbia Premier for Intergovernmental Affairs Norm Letnick and other dignitaries for the “Golden Plug” ceremony, which symbolically connects the electric vehicle fast-charging network along the West Coast Electric Highway.
International Golden Plug ceremony and launch of BC2BC 2013
When: 10 a.m. Saturday, June 29
Where: Peace Arch State Park, Blaine, WA
(I-5 Exit 276 at USA/Canada border)
- Pete Kremen, Whatcom County councilmember
- Blaine Mayor Harry Robinson
- Don Hoch, director, Washington State Parks
- Lynn Peterson, Washington Secretary of Transportation
- Norm Letnick, Parliamentary Secretary to the British Columbia Premier for Intergovernmental Affairs
- Tony Williams, BC2BC electric-vehicle rally organizer
- Several all-electric vehicles, including the Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster, Mitsubishi i-MiEV and Nissan Leaf
- AAA roadside-assistance truck with electric-vehicle chargers
- Displays and handouts
Reporters may test drive an electric vehicle, go for a short ride with one of the rally participants and interview EV drivers.
Take I-5 north to Exit 276, the last exit before the Canadian border. Take second right at the roundabout on 2nd Street and follow the signs to the park. At the entrance, a parking attendant will direct you to the event.
- 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Public display of electric vehicles; show-and-tell with EV drivers.
- 11 a.m.: International Golden Plug ceremony.
- 12 p.m.: Launch of all-electric vehicle rally. Crowds wave flags and cheer EV drivers leaving every five minutes.
For more information on this event visit: www.allelectricvehiclerally.org
Hyperlinks within the release:
- West Coast Electric Highway: http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/index.htm
WSDOT keeps people, businesses and the economy moving by operating and improving the state’s transportation systems. To learn more about what we’re doing, go to www.wsdot.wa.gov/news for pictures, videos, news and blogs. Real time traffic information is available at www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic or by dialing 511. To unsubscribe to WSDOT media releases please reply and type REMOVE in the subject line.